Kolhapuri Masala powder recipe – Kolhapuri cuisines are one of the delicious cuisines of Maharashtra. The Main ingredient of the masala is locally grown red chillies named “Sangli sanam” which is hot and gives excellent color.
Since it was not available at my place, I have substituted it with kashmiri chilli powder.This can be stored and used in making veg kolhapuri, chicken, mutton kohlapuri, tamda rassa curries and many more curries and stir fry recipes.
Recently we moved to Coimbatore from Bangalore. We had an amazing couple as neighbor with whom we would explore food around Bangalore. One weekend, we went for a drive (four of us) , A pointless drive not knowing where to go and finally stopped at a dhaba on the highways to Mysore.
One menu which i couldn’t forget was veg kolhapuri which was bright red colored and fiery hot! Since then it was in my to-try list. Last week on Mumbai Airport I bought PB’s “Secret in the Spice Mix” book and it had amazing collection of Indian spice recipes and i found the kolhapuri masala recipe in it. I am a great Fan of Master Chef PB and she is a wondrous women with exemplary cooking skills which she exhibits in her own style. Especially addicted to her “3 course with Pankaj” show 🙂
Kolhapuri Masala powder recipe – Pictorial directions:
Get all your ingredients ready:
I bought the dry coconut powder from store. If you have it at home, “kopparai”, grate them and use it.
- Heat a pan and dry roast coriander seeds, peppercorns, cumin and fennel seeds
- dry roast until slightly brown and aromatic.
- Dry roast sesame seeds until it pops out and turns roasted.
- Like this –
- Dry roast cinnamon and cloves
- Take that along with other roasted spices
- Dry roast coconut powder until it is slightly brown
- Get that along with the other spices in a plate
- Heat oil, saute chopped onions
- Until it gets brown
- roast garlic in the same pan
- until slightly roasted
- Now take all teh roasted spices along with chilli powder and salt.
- cool it down completely and Grind it to a coarse powderstore in a air tight container.
Kolhapuri Masala powder recipe:
- 1 cup dried grated coconut
- 2 tbsp sesame seeds
- 4 tbsp kashmiri chilli powder
- 2 tbsp garlic
- 1/2 cup onion
- 2 tbsp coriander seeds
- 1 tbsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 1 inch cinnamon
- 5 no cloves
- 1 tsp peppercorns
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp refined oil
coriander seeds, cumin seeds, peppercorns and fennel seeds until fragrant and slightly colored
dry roast sesame seeds until roasted and nutty
dry roast cinnamon and cloves until fragrant
dry roast dried coconut on low heat until slightly brown
heat oil, saute chopped onion until brown
In same pan, saute garlic until roasted
Cool down completely and grind all the ingredients along with salt and chilli powder to a coarse powder.
store in a air tight container